Monday, January 4, 2010

holy f. i just read the ingredient list for Cool Whip.

Well, the planets aligned and somehow I ended up with a donated tub of Kraft (owned by Phillip Morris) Cool Whip in my fridge during the holidays. I ate this amorphous whipped topping more than I care to admit during my childhood, but I never really cared to look at the ingredient list. OMFG. Not only is it long and loaded with polysyllabic chemical compounds, but the ingredients fail to include the one substance that most quickly comes to mind. Can you guess which one?

WATER, CORN SYRUP, HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (COCONUT AND PALM KERNEL OILS), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM CASEINATE (FROM MILK), NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, XANTHAN AND GUAR GUMS, POLYSORBATE 60, SORBITAN MONOSTEARATE, BETA CAROTENE (COLOR).


Cream! It seems you can have whipped cream without eating cream. Of course, they did manage to squeeze in some sodium caseinate, which is a milk-based derivative, but it seems Cool Whip exists without any naturally occurring ingredients (except water).

Mmmm... Sorbitan monostearate.

4 comments:

Fran. said...

Yea... I think every child born before 1980 probably grew up with some sort of chemically derived food equivalent. My mom use to buy Cool Whip and stick it in the freezer. She use to serve it up as ice cream. Better life through science.

Housekeepers said...

hi fran! i'm so glad you're not a spammer trying to sell me genitalia through a nigerian wire transfer. but seriously, i'm sure both of our dna's have been grossly altered on account of "whipped topping."

johnny_foodie said...

Love your blog

johnny_foodie said...

Love your blog