Saturday, January 31, 2009

great article in Star Tribune about local food trends

In case you missed it, earlier this month the Star Tribune's Nancy Ngo published a great article on food trends for 2009. Among other more trivial bits, such as speculation about Peru becoming the next hip food culture for Americans, the article does highlight some key trends related to home cooking and eating sustainably.

For several authorities, it's a deliberate, unapologetic return to home cooking. In its January issue, Food & Wine magazine names home cooking as the biggest food trend of the year, with an emphasis on retooled comfort food classics, entertaining on a budget and "exotic" recipes made easy.

The National Restaurant Association calls it philosophy-driven choices, this continuing trend toward "green" eating in its many permutations. And the chefs expect to see much more of it. In fact, local produce ranked No. 1 in the What's Hot survey. Nine in 10 chefs said demand for locally grown menu items would increase, along with demand for sustainable seafood, organic produce and free-range meats.


3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hi stay at home mom and working dad! Will just sent me a link to your blog. I have been following this blog lately- grocerycartchallenge.blogspot.com and have been challenging myself to spend less on groceries. I am not quite down to $60/wk, but I am down by quite a bit less than what I was spending a couple of months ago!

Anonymous said...

I wish not acquiesce in on it. I assume nice post. Particularly the appellation attracted me to read the whole story.

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.